I honestly had difficulty in the ‘5/8’ study – the movement theme of the prompt was unnatural to me as I move with a lot of circularity and rarely do sharp, linear movements. I found it hard to improvise movement while in this mind-frame of 5/8 meter, and that lead to a block to the creation of movement for my study – I could not figure out how to piece anything together that fit the ‘5/8’ theme that I actually felt comfortable presenting.
Opposite Tendencies – Compositional Study
After weeks of creating studies in comp class, a trend becomes apparent in everyone’s movement – natural tendencies that seem comfortable to a dancer and that appear frequently in the work that they create. In examining my own movement and previous studies, I found that there are definitely things that I do that have just become synonymous with my movement style. For example of a few, my ballet background shows most obviously with my contemporary ballet style of movement; I seem to put a lot of focus onto my feet; and my head often has an upward tilt, giving myself a higher-than-eye-level focus.
My final comp study took these natural tendencies and use them to create different movement. This was later paired with my partner, Paige St. John’s work to create a duet of opposing tendencies.
Production – Foley Final
Working as a team in Group X, our goal was to create a live Foley orchestration to a 3-minute clip from “Wallace and Gromit”.
This final production project was definitely an interesting way to combine all of the topics we have learned this semester into one collective assignment. While the project was mainly focused on the production of Foley, we still had to focus and incorporate costuming, lighting, and music. I was one of the Foley artists in charge of producing the sounds of the penguin’s footsteps and the tape measure. Our group was known to have more realistic Foley sounds, and that is mostly because the items we used to produce those sounds were parallel to the items we saw in the clip; for example, using actual tape measures and cutting cardboard with a pocketknife. We had the thought that they would provide the most genuine sounds. Our group was very dissatisfied and surprised to find that the actual audio of the clip sounded dissimilar to the sounds we produced. We also found that there were sounds that our group added that were not even present in the actual clip; for example, the alarm clock and blinking. From this project, I have gained a greater understanding of the background work to create what we see on screen – I will never be able to see films in the same way.