Working as a team in Group X, our goal was to create a live Foley orchestration to a 3-minute clip from “Wallace and Gromit”.
This final production project was definitely an interesting way to combine all of the topics we have learned this semester into one collective assignment. While the project was mainly focused on the production of Foley, we still had to focus and incorporate costuming, lighting, and music. I was one of the Foley artists in charge of producing the sounds of the penguin’s footsteps and the tape measure. Our group was known to have more realistic Foley sounds, and that is mostly because the items we used to produce those sounds were parallel to the items we saw in the clip; for example, using actual tape measures and cutting cardboard with a pocketknife. We had the thought that they would provide the most genuine sounds. Our group was very dissatisfied and surprised to find that the actual audio of the clip sounded dissimilar to the sounds we produced. We also found that there were sounds that our group added that were not even present in the actual clip; for example, the alarm clock and blinking. From this project, I have gained a greater understanding of the background work to create what we see on screen – I will never be able to see films in the same way.